Thursday, November 20, 2008

The world is your playground - you can't escape the bully.

America is everywhere. From the 100 Billboard Singles being played on my TV in Saudi Arabia, to McDonald's in Kuala Lampur. The United States influence has literally reached every corner of the Earth. Now, there are some places like in Khartoum, Sudan where, given the not-so-close US-Sudan relations, one cannot see a Starbucks at every corner nor the big golden arcs beaming from every direction. For political reasons that I choose not to get into (at least not now), countries like Sudan do not host the enterprises that make America the powerhouse of the globe. But, don't go waving your Sudanese flag in nationalistic pride just yet. We may not have Kentucky Fried Chicken, but we sure do have California Fried Chicken. Pizza Hut? No, we offer Pizza Hot. And for the good ol' golden arcs, we don't conform. You can find: Lucky Meal, proudly boasting an M, not to be mistaken for the McDonald's "m".


Globalization is everywhere. It's seeping into every nook and cranny of every country. You cannot possibly escape it. Let me make myself clear: I have nothing against the concept of globalization. I think Thomas Friedman, globalization expert, makes some excellent eye-opening points about globalization. However, I have some...well..concerns.


1) Since when does globalization necessarily mean Americanization?


2) Can globalization and culture live in harmony?





When I observe the world around us and how fast things are changing, I cannot help but imagine a typical middle school playground. You have the bully and you have the frail outcast. The bully is there. Always there. He's watching you and if you got something he wants, he'll get it. If the frail outcast, with his coke-bottle glasses, doesn't conform to what the bully wants, he's done. Your time at the playground will be your worst nightmare. No swings, no see-saw. Nothing. If you give in to the bully, maybe even be his sidekick and start talking and dressing like him, your chances of surviving in that playground look pretty darn good.


Do you see where I'm going?


The United States is like one big bully. It is the newest country in the world. But boy the U.S. of A. came in with a vengeance. The 232-year old independent nation is the world's super power. Countries that do not go in line with what the U.S. puts forth, are immediately black listed, sanctioned, or something else that can ultimately harm their economy or development. It's 4th grade all over again.


I do not hate the United States. Not at all. Their ideals of freedom and opportunity are unique and the driving factor of their global advancement and success. I have the U.S. to thank for my education. So for that, I am grateful. If anything, I have to give the U.S. credit. Kudos for their ability to have the entire world strive to be like them, be loved by them, or just settle to not be hated by them. Even countries who have U.S. imposed economic sanctions, still have the smell of Western influence drizzled across the country.


Example. During the hypness of the U.S. elections, there was this global frenzy going on. I was in Sudan this past summer. There are these 3-wheeled battery powered cars called "rakshas" they're the cheaper form of transportation, found also in India - they're very noise, very unsafe, very cheap. I spotted a raksha speeding past us one hot day in Khartoum with a big bold sticker in its back window proudly reading: "OBAMA"

Still not satisfied?

Well, try visiting one of the run down cities of Khartoum. Electricity and water are luxuries. When they manage to get the electricity up and running again after 48-hours of shortages, you better believe that you will hear 50 Cent's "In the Club" blasting through the old 1970s tape player.

Globalization.



Then the culture issue comes to play. Globalization has no culture. It's an entity, a movement, a force that has no limitations. It does not take into account the implications on a country's culture or traditions. So you are then faced with young adults in developing nations whose parents, and parents' parents seem like totally different species. These 18, 19-year-olds with their hip hugging jeans, adorned with their iPods and Steve Maddens, and E!TV, speak a completely different language than their families. Their heads are utterly and totally geared toward "that day" when they will finally be in univesity in the States or in the U.K...when they can let out an exasperated sigh: "finally I'm home." Should a line be drawn? Should someone grab these young people by the shoulders and scream : "you're NOT American!" Should we shut them in their rooms prohibiting the forces of globalization to rape them of their cultural backbone?



I think the answer lies in the stigma associated with the word "bully". A balance is needed in where we can look at this bully, at his positive traits, use them. And for everything else, keep our coke-bottle glasses on despite the name-calling and accept the fact that the playground will always be run by someone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, because I've seen alot of what your talking about.

I dont know...my take on the whole thing is a bit different..

To me, Globalization is a culture in its own right.
Im what some sociology experts would call a third culture child.
Im originally sudanese, I was born in the UK, I lived in the middle ast for a big part of my life, went to British schools, lived in Jordan for a year and a few years in Sudan. legally, I am the citizen and hold the passports of 3 countries. All these countires are equally home to me.

I lived in a cosmopolitan globalised culture. my School class had 10-15 different nationalities at least, so as a child I was not exposed to only my parents culture, but eveyone elses.i experienced Eid, Halloween, Christmas, Dewali, chinese new year..everything.

So how do u connect with such a mass of different people, all from different backgrounds and countries.some sort of commonality must bring us together. Thats how our own culture developed. Some would mistakenly call it westernization, but thats not it.

I mean think about it, wheres the one place that you know where a sudanese, american, indian, chinese, arab and british would all have eaten before...Mcdonalds...

I love Globalization, because as a perosn who grew up in so many places and has friends from almost every continent in the world, where ever i go in the world, I will see that familiar m logo..that familar pepsi can, the KFC sign..and it makes me feel like like Im always home, with my own people...the Global culture.

Noon, The Global Wanderer said...

i totally agree with you, mo. and i think it becomes a little technical: does moderization mean westernization? i dont know if you can seperate the two. if you read "the post american world" by fareed zakaria he makes some very valid points about that - westernization is such a huge movement that spanned for so long that its hard to say how it distinguishes itself from modernization. my point is that globalization has adopted a truly western touch. all the following you talk about: halloween, christmas, pepsi, mcdonalds, KFC they all resonate and were born from the U.S. of A.dont get me wrong, its not something i'm criticzing or downgrading - god knows i love mcd's as much as the nxt and being a "global wanderer" i am on the same page as you when it comes to the feeling of this global identity - however its just important to note that its this westernization that we've gotten accustomed too, thats become everyone from mumbai to khartoum to helsinki to hong kong's culture. (case and point: how many pairs of jeans do you own?)