Thursday, December 11, 2008

Under the veil of racism

Racism is a complex and ugly concept that one usually associates with the trying times of African American slavery in the early 1900s. It comes as a shock to many people, especially to my peers in the United States, when I mention that a certain level of racial discrimantion exists, pretty strongly, in the Arab world. A few have said to me: "but how come? Arabs aren't really white, so they can't really be racist." Oh, but they can. See, they're not black.

I can't put my finger on when it was exactly that I realized my being black made me stand out from amongst my Arab friends through middle and high school. I fondly remember an incident in 1991 living in the harsh winterland of Helsinki, Finland. My family was most definitly a striking difference to the regular Finnish blond haired blue eyed, fair-skinned family. We were riding on the bus heading into town. My father is on the dark end of the "color spectrum" (I say color spectrum, because its significance will be later explained in this post). A little Finnish girl gazed up at this dark man with her bright blue eyes and courageously rubbed my father's arm. She inquisitvely looked at her hand, in pure amazement that the "black" did not rub off.

It wasn't that moment, though.

There was this time, when, in high school, I was sitting with a group of my friends in the hallway. One of the boys, a regular jokester, made a very loud, very funny comment, apparently, saying to me: "Noon, what do YOU know? You're a maid, anyways!" Abda was the word he used. Technically meaning, a slave, referring to Black slaves. The laughter that vibrated across the hallway was strange. It wasn't the attacking, intending to hurt ME. It was that the joke was just sincerely FUNNY to these people. That's where the prejudice is a little different. It's just....accepted.

Speaking purely from my experience in Saudi Arabia, now. I don't care what anybody says. Racism exists. It's stench stretches across the Saudi man's disgusted gaze at "the help" - whether it be a Filipino maid, or an Indian driver; it exists on the words of the young boys driving by my car yelling "ya Asmarani!" (a fond way of saying: Hey black one!); it exists in the thousands of commercials emphasizing the beauty of fair skin; it exists in the obsolteness of a darker skinned Arab singer; and through nonchalant abda jokes.

It's funny because it's not a concept Arabs - whether dark skinned or not - really think about or discuss. Or, perhaps, the more correct thing to say is that it is not KNOWN that the issue is being talked about, given widespread integrated media censorship.


I remember two incidents in Lebanon and Egypt in which, upon passing by some locals, something to the effect of: "oh how pretty she is, too bad she's Black" - was shouted towards me. Now, the strange thing is in some cases, like the above, is that these locals were acutally sincere in their comments, and I know to them, its not a matter of racism. It's a matter of preference. Fair skin in the Arab world is historically a sign of beauty. So, as much as I wanted to shout back at the ignorance of random discriminatory messages, I hold myself back because it's a cultural thing. I told myself not to get upset when, oddly enough, Arabs would enthusiastically say "show us a rap!" or "do that new Janet Jackson move!" My response always upset them, yielding a "what kind of a Black person are you anwaysys?" All I could think to myself was - "the kind that's from Sudan."


If we venture past the Middle East into the Black Continent, or Africa, it is quite ironic that you will also come across a different kind of race issues. Speaking particularly on Sudan, now. Sudan - its root "sood" means "black" - so "land of the Black". One would think the racial pride radiating from the "land of the Black" is widespread. However, that is not quite the case. Society places a lot of emphasis on women's beauty, strongly dependent on the lightness of the skin! It is very common to find a Sudanese woman who uses special creams to bleach her skin or uses enormous amounts of makekup to ligthen their complexion creating a clown-like appearance. Even within families, it is quite common to play favorites among the daugthers of lighter complexion, who usually are awarded for their "beauty" by being a hot commodity for marriage. Now, this is not a trend that is characterized in each family in Sudan and, nowadays with the overarching channels of media and the new generation of globalized youngsters, it is not something that is as apparent as the past. But the concept of the "color spectrum" totally exists. You hear it on the old Sudanese women's random comments rambling that "it's fine she's not THAT dark" or "she's fair-skinned; absolutely beautiful!"


There's a fine line between a preference of race and then the outward disrespect. I turned on my TV during the holy month of Ramadan a couple of months ago (September-ish) and, like many ex-patriats living in the region, was surprised at what I was watching. Recently awareness campaigns have taken a step forward and produced several ads like the following:

Translation: “Put it. Don’t you understand me? Put the rice! DAMNIT! Go, get out of my face.”
“What’s wrong with her, doesn’t she understand?”
“She’s abnormal.”

Translation:


Scene 1: "Rahma! Come here! What's wrong with this ironing? Looks horrible, like your face! Just like your work, horrible!"


Scene 2:"Sir, can I get my salary? I haven't gotten my salary for 2 months."

"You're annoying me! I told you, I have no money. You want me to go steal for you or what? There are some people that haven't received their salary for 3 or 4 months!"


Scene 3: "God damn you! Hurry up! Where the hell did you come from anyway?!"


Scene 4: "Excuse me sir, I would like to get your permission to go visit my daughter and check up on her at the hospital."

"What do you mean you would like to be excused? Work is work. After the shift, you can go check on her. Am I responsible for your family as well?"



Scene 5: (text) Those who do not show mercy


"Oh God, show mercy on me, please. Help me, my Lord, I am weak."

(text) Will not be shown mercy.

These "Rahma" ads or "Mercy" ads have just recently been widely circulated across the Middle East. Incidents like the ones presented in the two advertisements, are largely common within the Arab world and are reflective of how some maids and drivers are treated in households. Whether their message has proven effective is hard to tell, however, I strongly beleive that the initiative in producing such strong public service annoucnements is a great first step. The cultural image of race is something that is quite complex. It is quite embedded within society, I don't know if we need a Martin Luther King Jr. to rile up the masses in order to confront the issue or an Erykah Badu to break the mold, but I think that the first step in uncovering the racism that exists in the Arab world would be in not pretending the veil has nothing to hide. Indeed mentalities are difficult and seemingly impossible to change, however, I am enthusiastic to see how the sands of time that blew through the decades of slavery unveiling an African American president, will blow through the deserts of our history, as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post.

I'm Sudanese and only consider myself Arab because:

1) My paternal progenitor settled in North Sudan Sudan from Makkah in 1531 and,

2) The Prophet PBUH's definition of Arab is linguistic.

Actually the 2nd reason should be placed as number 1.

Arabs are racist.

Particularly, in my personal experience, those from the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and Jordan) - and here I am consciously generalising.

In Palestine and Jordan they have blacks who they call 3abeed who live in special neighbourhoods.

I often wonder at the older generation of Sudanese intellectuals who wax lyrical about 'Arabism' whilst these same Arabs hardly consider them as equals or contemporaries.

I guess there's a reason for everything and there's a reason so many Prophets known to us were sent to the Middle East - because the people there are that 'bad'.

I've heard that Morocco is a very racially tolerant country.

As for the other racists, may they perpetually marinate in their ignorant cesspit.

If you read this:
http://www.un.org/Pubs/whatsnew/e02175.htm

You'll never question why people in the Arab world are so backward by all international standards.

It was very self-gratifying to see them whither under the indescriminate gaze of ethnic profiling post 9/11.

What goes around MOST DEFINITELY comes around sooner, or later.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it out loud, but I guess I am a racist, and the funny thing is, im Black..

But really, who isnt?? true, u may not beat someone or linch them or even say something racist to them..but in ur mind, those comments that u just say to urself...does that make u a racist?

I think society is much to blame here..we grow up in a sterotypical society, where everything has be named and grouped..and this applies everywhere in the world..
if hes mexican , he must be lazy and have a minimum wage job
if hes an african american, he must be on welfare and somking crack.

in the arab world..same concepts apply... indians are dumb minimum wage workers, filipino women are maids and filipino men are gay.and the jews...well, i think its well known what arabs thinks of about jews.

now, obviosuly these are very sterotypical and racist statments, and are definatly not true, but thats how society has molded us to think.

and even for those of us who like to think of ourselves as respectful to all humans are we're not rasict... its something we put a consious effort into doing..its not second nature..u have to actively remove that sterotype from ur head. I dont know..maybe its just me..in which case, im much more of a racist than i thought.

In Sudan, my family comes from the North..not the North Khartoum, but way up north.they used to live there for a long time, but most have moved to the city now. my grandmother used to tell me stories of their life there.

She told me that each family had a aab (slave). and thats what they called them! they didnt have names. they would refer to them as the aab belonging to this family, the aab belonging to that family. they didnt get money for their work, and they were sold like cattle.

this was not far along..40- 50 years ago.. when the families moved to khartoum, they took thier belifs would them. most of the older people in my family still refer to southerners as slaves...doesnt matter, he could be a laborer or even a doctor..to them hes still a aab.

i guess racism is something that will always be there..its a part of human nature...like love and hate and all the other emotions. or maybe im just not giving the human spirit more credit than it deserves, and a time will come when people are'nt classified according to race, religon or color.

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a part of human nature but not everyone is racist and degrees of tolerance towards it differ and just because it exists that doesn't justify it.

Our grandmothers' generation is passing, if it hasn't passed away already - and ours and future generations are faced with new realities and challenges.

My grandmother's generation has nothing on me and I don't owe any of my cognizance of the world to it, and nor should you or any self-respecting educated Sudanese adult.

Racism in Sudan is comedically tragic - which one of us isn't slightly brown or has coarse hair or one of those giveaway features or uber-ethnic relatives???

We have a complex history and 'denial' is more than our riverine lifeblood.

The brown ones want to be yellow and the dark ones want to be brown...

However we treat foreigners well, we go out of our way to please them.

Nothing compares to the disgusting *contemporary* treatment of workers, domestic and otherwise from Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and South Asia - in the Gulf and Lebanon.

Anonymous said...

Well said Noon.

Just a quick comment to "mo48":
>"I think society is much to blame here..we grow up in a sterotypical society, where everything has be named and grouped..and this applies everywhere in the world.."<
People make 'Society', not the other way round. Don't be a follower.

>"..its a part of human nature...like love and hate and all the other emotions."<
Racism is not an emotion. It's more of a habit that is natured and Habits are controllable.

Waleed.