Monday, March 2, 2009

Sudan's (growing) to-do list

We're about 24 hours away from the ICC's ruling of charges of war crimes against Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir.

As we say in Sudan, "wob alena"
(a.k.a. "oh goodness, let's brace ourselves!")

Now, several steps have been taken by the Sudanese government leading up to this date. (Sugaring the ICC perhaps?)

Al Bashir, on several occasions, publicly denounced any war crimes occurring in Darfur. Last November the President called for a ceasefire in Darfur. Al-Bashir said he was looking forward to having "free elections in the future"(I'm curious to see how that turns out). More recently, peace talks were held in Doha, Qatar between the Sudanese government and the JEM rebel movement in which a "declaration of intent" was signed.

The declaration touched on issues such as the release of some JEM war prisoners and security and safety of the IDPs and civilians.

So, with the hours counting down for the fate of my president to be stated (more or less), I can't help but wonder what Al-Bashir have planned? If indicted and an arrest is issued, will the Sudanese government unleash a hurricane of rebellion on UN and humanitarian workers in Khartoum? Will he bow down gracefully and wave a white flag? I can't help but laugh at the preposterous questions, neither of which will probably be done. I know Sudanese. They're not stupid enough to do the former and well, the latter is just out of the question!

I don't know where I stand on this issue, quite honestly. I don't want to see my President indicted, I only feel it will bring about more political instability and create a turbulence that Sudan will probably not overcome. But I also don't want him to get off the hook that easily. Whether or not he is responsible for what is happening in Eastern and South Sudan, a President's role and duty is to ensure the safety and security of his people - all of them. And if 300,000 Sudanese have died during your presidency in your country, then that's a problem you have to deal with. Minus international interference. (But don't get me started on that).
Let's not forget a key player here though - China. Good ol' China.
Somehow I feel like they won't let anything happen to Sudan. We're buds, you see. We strive on each other, economically. Bonnie and Clyde.

I'll be back tomorrow for an update of Sudan's fate, and its to-do list, because it definitely is going to have some cleaning up to do.

No comments: